Hunslet

The Hunslet was built in 1936 in Leeds. DLI Pressure Vessel Number 2924. Builders Number 1844 . The engine is of the Darwin class – refer classes of Hunslet locosattached makers table which shows the different classes of locomotive built by Hunlset.

First inspection of the locomotive was on Sept 14th 1937 when it was purchased new by the Australian Commonwealth Carbide Company to work on the Ida Bay Railway.-


Krauss – 2′ gauge – 0 4 0 built in 1906 in Munich, Germany.

Krauss locomotive
Our locomotive weighs 7 tonne and is a combination of the (inside)frame and wheels of ex Zeehan Tramways Krauss – builders No 5800 and Sandfly Colliery Krauss (outside frame 2 – 4 – 0)No 5682 – which came to Tasmania in 1907. The rebuilding was done by the Second River Tramway near Launceston in 1971. This locomotive was fitted with new tyres in 1986. A new firebox (cost $8,000.00) was fitted in the boiler during a 20 month period prior to February 2003

 The boiler notes for the Ida Bay Krauss state DLI Boiler number 2972, New Boiler for Ida Bay Krauss BN 5682 Inspected at Electrona 1938, built in Victoria 1937

Check out some history about Krauss locomotives in Australia


First class passenger car A – 1

A1 Carriage
This is the only surviving example of a North East Dundas Tram carriage. It was built in the Launceston Railway Workshops in 1898. Purchased in very poor condition circa 1986 and fully restored by Peter, Christopher and Vivian Martin over a 4 year period.

 


Passenger car PB1

passenger car
This Passenger Car originally built by the Mt. Lyell Mining and Railway Company as a wooden framed, side door, cross bench carriage and was used until 1961 on the Boulder Tramway at Renison Bell to take miners from the town to the mine. The ceiling height has been raised 450mm. It is now fitted with a steel under frame and has end platforms with end doors.


Guards Van DB1.

Guard's Van
This guard’s van was built by Ralph Proctor in Launceston in 1979 on a wooden framed flat wagon from components of Tasmanian Government Railways Guards’ Vans.


 

OB-1 – previously known as FT-1.


During SteamFest 2017 it was used for the first time to carry passengers. Peter Martin has put together a history of OB-1
Click here to Read More


We also have:

  • A steel framed bogie flat wagon.
  • A steel bottom dumping ore wagon – ex Mt Lyell Mining and Railway Company.
  • A gang motor – ex Tasmanian Government Railways – regauged from 3’6” to 2′. (Not yet on site)
  • Frame and wheels of two Battery – Electric locos from Australian Paper Mills Boyer Tas.
  • Frame and wheels of a ‘Days’ 0 – 4 – 0 petrol 2′ gauge locomotive.